Simplicity 3511 is a toddler sized pattern and comes in sizes 1/2 to 4. It retails for 11.95, but I’m pretty sure like most of my other patterns, I got it at one of the box stores on sale. With this pattern you can make a top or dress with different sleeve styles and a pair of pants. I used cottons for the three pieces I did, but you can also use, gingham, corduroys, linen or poplin. You will need buttons for the shirt and dress and elastic depending on what style sleeves you do.
For my daughter I first made a dress out of an orange owl fabric and a coordinating turquoise dragonfly print that I got from Fabric.com. I made it last year and a bit large (a size 2) so she could grow into it. I used view D with the sleeves from E with no elastic on them. Later I made a shirt out of the same pattern (view E) and the pair of pants both out of cottons I got on sale at a local quilt shop…for $3 a yard. Nothing like $3 a yard cotton prints to make your day! The pants were a disaster. They look fine but just didn’t fit my toddler well. The shirt however is one of her favorites. Continue reading
Pattern front and the fabric I selected for the dress
Simplicity 2377 is from Simplicity’s Easy to Sew line, and it is just that, very easy to sew! The pattern retails for $13.95, but I got mine at a sale at Jo-Ann’s.
The fabric is a lightweight corduroy I ordered from Fabric.com, Kaufman 21 Wale Cool Cords Flowers Blue. I would suggest using corduroy, cottons, gingham, eyelet or linen. You will also need 1/4″ elastic and whatever trim you prefer.
For my daughter, I decided to sew view B in size 3. The pattern comes in sizes 3 to 8 and is either a paper pattern or a new printable file from Simplicity.com. She’s two and a half and between sizes in ready to wear clothes. Continue reading
Front side of messenger bag
Last autumn, I was in need of a new bag, so when Arrow Cabinets’ sew along theme was sew something for yourself, I went to work! I found this wonderful tutorial from New Green Mama on how to sew a reversible messenger bag. I ran to my local quilt shop and picked up one yard each of coordinating quilting cotton and went to work. I had leftovers from each yard so you can probably make do with less.
Because I was using quilting cotton instead of decorators fabric. I interfaced each piece with a light weight
Other side of messenger bag
fusible interfacing. It made it a little tough to turn right side out, but after using it for months, it still holds up well so I highly suggest it. I made the pockets as directed on the tutorial and topstitched everything down. Before sewing the flap together, I ran outside and found some pretty leaves to trace onto heat n bond. I attached it to my fabric, then cut out the leaf shape and ironed it to the opposite fabric. I then took some blue embroidery thread and did a long straight stitch around it for a little color. After that I finished sewing and flipping the bag, once again doing a topstitch on everything.
When I make this bag again, (I already have the fabric!) I plan on doing a variation. The two pockets work well for me, but I am adding in some elasticized sippy cup pockets. Yeah. I know. It’s silly but I can’t tell you how many times I have been holding a sippy cup after my daughter abandons it somewhere. I also plan on making it slightly bigger so I can hold infant and toddler items without having to take the entire diaper bag for a short trip.